It happens to us all. You fall off your fitness routine, and you find yourself feeling guilty. Days can go into weeks and then you’re filled with fear and reistance on getting back into your workout ritual. The longer you stay away, the harder it is to come back. Change your mindset, and use our tips to help you get back to the gym with less resistance and more confidence!
1. Don’t compare yourself to someone else. Everyone’s fitness journey is different, and comparison is the thief of joy. Stay focused on what works for you, not for anyone else.
2. Commit to something. Sometimes a goal is a great way to reignite your motivation. Sign up for a class, a fitness challenge, or a race to get you moving.
3. Ask for help! Phone a friend, book a workout with your workout buddy. Or hire a personal trainer who will help hold you accountable.
4. Buy new workout clothes. Sometimes it’s something as simple as having a new outfit to rock at the gym to get you motivated to show up.
5. Know when to rest and when to push yourself. Feeling run down? Rest. Feeling sluggish? Move your body for more energy. We can’t go 100% all of the time, recovery days are just as important as your workouts. Give your body rest when it needs it, but make sure it’s only for a day or two so you don’t lose your progress. Know when you’re making excuses and when it’s time to rest.
6. Find a community! A whole group of accountability partners who are excited to see you beside them in class, and notice when you’re gone. TTB’s community, the Belle Gang is a group of encouraging people who want to build relationships outside of just working out next to eachother. Looking for a community to inspire you? Look no further!
7. Don’t think of it as exercise. Find something that’s FUN. Cause let’s face it, if you don’t enjoy it, you’ll find every excuse to avoid it. Find a workout that sparks joy. And remember, there’s something for everyone in fitness- so find what’s right (and fun) for you.